Friday, June 12, 2009

New Adventure?!

As I find myself in dire need of a new adventure (maybe this is why I decided to start a blog) I have begun googling exciting places to visit. And each day I add a new location to my list of "Places to see once I have the money to travel!" Today I came across the magnificent metropolis of Chichén Itzá which is said to be one place you must see before you die. According to Schultz's 1,000 Places to See Before You Die: A Traveler's Life List, "If you are lucky enough to be here on the spring or autumnal equinox (March 21 or September 21), you will marvel at the mastermind who positioned the temple of El Castillo de Kulkulcán: The play of late-afternoon light and shadow creates a moving serpent (representing the ancient leader-turned-deity Kulkulcán) that, over the course of thirty-four minutes, slithers down 365 steps to the giant’s head at the base of the pyramid’s principal facade before disappearing into the earth." While it does sound incredible, it makes me wonder how many people read this and immediately book tickets?! And who is qualified to make the list of 1,000 places to see? Through all of my traveling I have often discovered my favorites by getting lost. Now I wonder where and when I will next lose myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment